Wholeness/Healing/Health A long story..

Sun in Taurus, Moon in Aquarius, 3rd 1/4

In 2005 I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Proctitis, an inflammatory bowel dis-ease, a mild form of Ulcerative Colitis. At the time I was given medication and told that I would be on it for the rest of my life and there are no known cause or cures.
 Oh my..
So I took that medication and stuffed my head in the ground like an Ostrich. 
In the last 2 years as I have been connecting more deeply to a life of more meaning for myself, my authentic self, I started to question this medication and dis-ease. More research done into the dis-ease has started to relate it to an abnormal response in the bodies immune system, genetics and environmental factors.

I began seeing a Naturopath who had a holistic approach to health, she looked at my lifestyle, diet and stress levels. Iridology tests showed my colon inflamed, adrenal glands over active and high stress levels. She gave me lots of herbs and formulas and I began on my journey of physical health, eating breakfast, not skipping meals, lowering alcohol intake, addressing stress levels.
The symptoms of the ulcerative proctitis still persisted.

I began going to a new doctor asking for blood tests to help with my constant low energy and the results showed a lower white blood count that he couldn't account for, low iron and other low vitamins. No wonder I felt low, I was low!
I started taking an iron supplement only to have my body reject it severely... hmmm, what is going on?
I have recently found research linking a side effect of the drug Sulfasalazine I am taking with lowered white blood cells.. great. My skin started erupting in boil like things around my neck and shoulder area and I was sure it was linked to the medicine and its effect on the liver and kidneys, I didn't know what to do, symptoms on medication and symptoms off egad!

I began to reconnect spiritually with a group of women at this time. We worked as priestesses to the Goddess, honouring the wheel of the year, the circle of life, many nights were spend in meditation, chanting, sharing and unfolding my wings, letting my light shine. I began to relax and de-stress, balance was achieved through connecting spiritually. It helped me ground the working conventional world around me that I had begun to recognise as being backwards! I started looking deeper into what I put in and on my body.

Thankfully we have now disposed of every chemical in our cleaning and bathroom cupboards and replaced them with natural, botanical, simple alternatives from Health food stores and homemade remedies.

With this shift to be environmentally conscious in our homes I was lead back to my body and what I fuel it with - you are what you eat after all. I had been an aquatarian for 6 years and full Vegetarian for one year. But just because I was a vegetarian doesn't mean I was healthy. I skipped meals, had days of no fresh fruit and veg, ate a lot of cooked mush stuff that would really have no nutritional benefit at all and drank a lot on weekends yeah I took a multivitamin but I'm pretty sure it was weed out straight away! So I took on the supermarket (stupid-market) and got informed, a fantastic book Additive Alert informed my shopping choices and assisted me in eradicating foods filled with harmful additives, preservatives, colours, flavours and other such blah. I also got my hands on the Ethical Shopping Book and cut out brands that are using genetically modified ingredients, test on animals, exploit slavery and other such horrifying things. After cutting out sooo much at the shopping centre it was becoming increasingly clear that we are living very poisonous lifestyles if we choose to stay ignorant. Home made slow food was the only solution I could see.

In January of this year I was going to the local shopping centre to get a new prescription for my medication but had half an hour to play with before I had to be some where else, so I perused the book store, ahh lovely!
I stumbled on a book called "Healing Foods" by Sandra Ramacher. A book of healing for people with Celiacs, Colitis, Crohns and IBS. I had never seen a book addressing this dis-ease before. Reading the blurb the author had been diagnosed with severe ulcerative colitis and with the help of this diet had cured it... CURE, a cure.. I couldn't believe it. The book cost the same amount as my medication so I chose the book.
Relief washed over me and I cried all the way home, clutching at my book, it was the first time in years I felt hope for my dis-ease.

Healing Foods by Sandra Ramacher

The strict diet eliminated starch, sugar, starch, lactose, gluten and grains from the diet. It was based on the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall.
As a vegetarian it posed a lot of problems as it eliminated all soy products and chickpeas and cautioned legumes until at a more advanced stage in the diet.
I took on eating fish again to supplement my diet as it was very meat based. I was annoyed at people close to me and their happy reaction to my fish eating. Does it make them feel less responsible for their animal eating if I'm eating fish? Does it make me more convenient for them? Some said they were happy I would be healthier eating meat.

Meir.

So its been 4 months now and I am looking deeper at my health state, I went off the medication straight away in favour of the diet. Not a particularly smart move on my part and all the nasty symptoms of the dis-ease came pouring on me :( So I am back on the medication with the intention of weening off slowly as I heal. My doctor says I need to find an alternative to the medication if I want to have children and was supportive of the diet!

At the beginning of this year I began leaning about Shamanism and the healing connected with this spiritual practise. I am learning that my physical healing is connected to my emotional, spiritual and mental health.. I knew this I just didn't go deep with it. I stayed on the surface avoiding confrontation with healing, change and living life differently, go and check out Sacred Radiance to connect with these wise, healing people.

I have also begun a beginners Herbalism course learning about the different body systems and how the plants can help interact and heal the whole body. Chemically we come from the same soup as plants and we are connected to them and reliant on them for life so of course they can heal us too, this is how the wise women of the villages and medicine people of the tribes healed in the past - with a deep grounded connection to spirit and knowledge of the healing properties of plants. Go check out The Herbalist

In the Second week of the herb course my teacher asks the group what would we do if we had a terminal illness, what treatments would we undergo, what lifestyle changes would we make.
I would focus wholly and fully on natural health and healing and I would stop putting off all the things I do - the trip to Ireland, my art practise, going to live in the trees in my patch of green.
We were then challenged to question why we aren't doing it now..
My physical, spiritual and creative health needs to become my top priority as prevention is always easier and better than a cure. 

I began to look deeper into what I wanted for my life and what needs to be changed. I have to take a big honest look at myself.
I drink alcohol when I know that the next day all I feel is anxious and it upsets the dis-ease, I smoke cigarettes when I drink too.. cigarettes for crying out loud, what am I thinking. I pretend its not big deal, I had quit for a year and a half and then in December last year on holiday I started again.. Why?
Well the lovely man in my life is going to make an effort to quit and so am I, no excuses.
I want to go back to a vegetarian diet, full of wholeness and nutrients, I keep reading about raw food and its healing properties and it makes sense. I can successfully live a healthy nutritional life full of all the nutrients and vitamins I need - I just need to ensure I am consuming consciously lots of whole foods and tune in with my body, it knows what it can consume to ensure vitality. I want to get back into Yoga, I got so much out of it last year, I will face my laziness and jump back on that bandwagon!

It seems I have started lots of good things but I have trouble seeing them through to the end, I sabotage my efforts, a shadow self comes and says "what's the point?" and gets all destructive. Well I'm conscious of it now so I'm going to be prepared!

Two days after this health focus in my herb class I met a couple who are raw vegan, through a mutual friend. It has felt like I am being led in the right direction and as I help myself the world around me is helping my too. Curtis spoke of his diagnosis of MS and its lead to a healthful way of life, he referred to the dis-ease as a blessing. Check out this website http://blessedbyms.com/ It was so inspirational talking with them about health and healing, raw food, veganism and the reality of my own healing.

I can do this.

I have a herbal tonic I put in my water from my herbalist with lots of healing herbs to assist me in the healing process and I am addressing the metaphysical connection to my illness through herbs, meditation and mindfulness, and eating consciously.

Through diet, lifestyle, attitude, mind, body, spirit I will pursue health and healing for my body. Samhain is upon us this weekend marking the end of the Pagan wheel of the year. A cycle is closing - a perfect time to let go of the old, release stagnant energy, a death to the old self to rebirth into the new year ahead.

Do you have a healing story to share? I'd love to hear it..

Brightest Blessings and healthful wishes for all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment